Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Last night, I was watching tv and I saw a commercial for Laughing Cow cheese. Now, I love me some Laughing Cow cheese, but what struck me about the commercial was that they showed a snack plate with apples, grapes and crackers with the cheese on it...and it looked really good. Like, I started craving the apples and grapes and cheese & crackers.

This has a point.

This morning, I woke up as normal and started getting ready. I got on the scale and....280. Now...that was the magical number that I secretly told myself "at least I'm not at that number". Even yesterday, when it read 279, I told myself that. But now...I AM that number. And it's not going to go anywhere but up unless I DO something.

I admit - this morning I was tempted to panic. When I saw that number flash up at me, my knees wobbled. I quickly clamped it all back and got ready in a sort of daze. My thoughts were going a mile a minute - if I could do this, this and this then I wouldn't be that number anymore. But of course, they were things that haven't worked before and that I know aren't safe.

I remembered the log book that my friend gave me. I remembered the running plan that I've been wanting to start. And I remembered Sparkpeople, to help me track things.

My goal is to loose 40 pounds by January 1st. That equals to 1.5 pounds per week, which I believe is a safe and steady rate. I've entered in my stats at Sparkpeople, which says that I should be eating around 2000 calories a day - as long as I make sure that I'm not eating 2000 calories of pasta a day, I think that is a doable goal. I have to start exercising - so tomorrow I'll be doing the bike in the morning for 30 minutes (or some time during the day) until Monday, when I WILL start the running program.

I always read about people having this big flash-of-light, OMGmoment where they somehow find the strength to start doing whatever they need to do. I don't feel strong...but I feel cornered. And maybe feeling cornered is what I need to fight back. Maybe I'm finally ready, and that moment I had with the Laughing Cow commercial was my body telling me that it's okay, that this is what it wants.

I have to stop thinking about it, and start doing it.

--------------------------------

I wrote the above this morning. I did well during the day, but binged at supper time. Somehow, I stayed within my calorie limit, so at least there is that.

I feel...good, which is surprising. I think I'm expecting to feel bad, like I'm already anticipating the failure. And I can definitely taste fear in the back of my throat...but I'm trying not to think. No think, just do. I have to channel my inner-Yoda.

There is no try, only do.

1 comment:

sin said...

God I know all that stuff. The feeling of panic, the rationalization that at least I don't weight THAT. And the feelings of failure.

When you fall off the wagon just get up and get back on. When you fail, learn from it. Learn your trigger times, trigger foods.

You can do this. It IS about diet and exercise. Its about what you put in your mouth and how much you move your body.

I sound like I should be thin, don't I, since I have all the answers. I'm not. But I'm trying to be...

Good luck. I think your post is very motivating. I hope you are sticking with it.

sin