Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Why this bisexual blogger supports Miss California

My blog isn't read often, so this probably won't get seen much...but I had to voice my opinion about this whole Miss California / Perez Hilton thing. After all...I'm entitled to my opinion, aren't I?

Personally, I don't consider myself bisexual. I live with my boyfriend of nearly 7 years. I just happen to also have a woman in my life that I fell in love with. I'm not normally attracted to women enough to consider myself bisexual, but maybe just the fact that I love a woman makes me one. Who knows - it's all semantics to me. I have always been a supporter of gay rights, and I do support gay marriage.

I support gay marriage for the simple legalities. I believe that "marriage" has become a catch-all phrase for a ceremony that includes not only religious meaning, but legal meaning. I believe that those two things should never be combined. I believe that the "lawmakers" (whomever they might have been forever-ago) shouldn't have used the religious marriage ceremony as a basis for legal rights - however, I also understand that they probably didn't have much else to go on, and that religious diversity was not an issue at that point in time as it is now. I believe that the religious meaning of marriage should be defined by religions, and that the legal state of marriage should be defined by the law (at either state or federal level).

Religion is, and always has been, a deeply personal experience. For the record, I also do not affiliate myself with any organized religion, though I do consider myself to be personally spiritual. However, I would never have the arrogance to tell someone what they should believe in, just as I expect no one to tell me what I should believe in. As long as those religious beliefs do not hurt anyone (physically, not emotionally), then I believe that people should be able to believe what they wish.

I didn't watch the telecast of the Miss USA contest. I have read transcripts of the question posed by Perez Hilton and the answer given by Miss California on various news websites, including MSNBC, FOXnews, and ABC.

I have to wonder...did Perez know that his question would be answered by Miss California?

I have no problem with the question itself - I question the appropriateness of it simply because of it's ties to religious beliefs. What if Perez had asked if she supported terrorist movements against the US, and she happened to be a member of the Taliban? (I know, I know...so many things wrong with that picture, but go with the analogy)

Basically...no matter how she answered, she was going to be booed by someone.

On top of that, Perez had to go and call her out on his website (which I completely admit to visiting on more than one occasion), calling her names. Let's see...who came out looking like a better person there? Sorry Perez...I'm personally boycotting your site now. The hate that came out of your mouth after being given an honest answer to a question of opinion was nothing better than the hatred against gays. Hatred is hatred...it doesn't know sexual orientation, skin color, or religious beliefs.

So, why do I support her? Because she was honest. She gave an honest, opinionated answer to a question about her opinion.

Do I agree with her? Of course not. But you bet your ass I support her opinion.

5 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

I agree and disagree. I support her honesty. I don't support her opinion. I just support her right to have one.
The legality of marriage is strictly based on a legal document confirming that a couple has sworn before an official that they are married. The religious ceremony is really just extra in the eyes of the law. But then again, law is like the Bible. It depends on who's diciphering it. Which is why we have some states supporting gay marriage and others opposed. Unfortunately, no one is being completely objective on either side.
Personally, I happen to support gay marriage.
You bring about some very good points in this. I found it very interesting!
Thanks!

Chloe said...

Personally, I think she's a ragingly insane hypocrite. I can't support abbreviated morality, and I saw her on TV talking about how she's a "Christian" so THAT'S why she doesn't support gay marriage. The Bible says it's wrong.

So if the Bible says it's wrong, it's wrong? Yeah? The Bible also says it wrong to mix fibers. (Leviticus 19:19). And I'm betting her evening gown and swimsuit weren't 100% cotton or anything. So, by her reasoning, we should, what? Stone HER to death or something?

Outstanding. Let's get started.

I support differing opinions, as long as they make even the tiniest bit of sense. People who are against gay marriage can go ahead and be against it, and they should feel free to never enter into a gay marriage. G'head. I don't care.

But anyone who comes up with stuff as insanely hypocritical as the belief that gay marriage is wrong because of the Bible, yet decides other things the Bible says are wrong are just peachy? Well, I'm pretty sure people that stupid can be declared legally dead in something like 49 states.

Then again, it was the Miss USA pageant, I don't expect much else.

People like her sadden me.

~Chloe

frog said...

Thanks, Sprite's Keeper. =)

Chloe - like I said, I don't agree with her opinion...what left me with a bad taste in my mouth was the fact that she was asked a question about her opinion, gave an honest answer regarding her opinion, and then got called a bitch for having that opinion. I totally agree that there is hypocracy raging in this situation - but unfortunately, I've come to believe that hypocrasy reigns no matter what subject is being talked about. =/

Chloe said...

"unfortunately, I've come to believe that hypocrasy reigns no matter what subject is being talked about."

So sad, but so true, frog.

And I totally agree, her opinion is her own, and good for her for voicing an opinion...

I guess what I was saying (which I was unclear about here and in another blog about the subject, because I suck at being clear) was slightly an aside... I was like "Heeeey, yanno what? Everyone is freaking out about this, and I keep thinking, okay, but what about the answer if you FORGET the social context? Was it a good answer, just based on its merit, its logic, etc.?"

I was musing and not really (read: not even CLOSE to) on topic, but that's kind of a specialty of mine. :D

It was more... Everyone jumped on the girl for the opinion. Which I think was silly. However, I DID think her answer was crap, and she deserved a crap score for it. Not for the content, but for the logical flaws inherent in taking that stance, yanno?

It's like saying "rape is WRONG and against the law and BAD" while you're murdering someone. If she hadn't violated about a dozen Biblical laws (some WHILE standing on stage, such as mixing fibers) then, okay, fine, her logic would have made sense, full points for her! But that's not so much how it went down. So she still got the thumbs down from me. (And I'm TERRIBLY important in the pageant world, I'll have you know! Shh! No need to ask for credentials, just trust me on this, kthnx. *grins*)

You can't stand on a stage and ask the world to judge you, and then expect not to be judged. She got what was coming to her, I just think it was coming from the wrong angle.

Sad world sometimes. A lot of times.

Good lord, I gotta pee and get to bed!

And I meant to say this before but (shockingly) I got sidetracked - thanks for posting this, I've liked thinking about it.

~Chloe

frog said...

"You can't stand on a stage and ask the world to judge you, and then expect not to be judged. She got what was coming to her, I just think it was coming from the wrong angle."

Great point, Chloe!